So, ever since we got our first look at the Pokémon anime‘s XY series, a lot of people have asked the same question: Does Ash look older?
And no, I’m NOT just talking about the fact that he has teeth now, although that IS an improvement. Just look at him! He looks taller and a bit lankier. His hair seems a bit different, like it’s added some length. So, as far as my own personal answer goes…Yeah, he looks older. However, that brings up a much more important question for me: Did Ash finally GET older?
Now, anybody that’s been watching the show since it started has taken notice of this, especially since Best Wishes started with the declaration that Ash was still 10 years old. And, I’m gonna try to avoid spoilers here by keeping names out, but SOMEBODY uses the Kanto-Johto Magnet Train in the second to last episode of Best Wishes, and the last time we ever saw that Magnet Train, they said it would be a year since it would be finished. That was a LOOOOONNNGG time ago, so we can no longer make the argument that Ash is completely these Regional Championships in a few months, AT LEAST ONE YEAR HAS PASSED. And this is not the first time that the passage of time has been addressed in the show, and yet, Ash remains 10.
And before anyone theorizes, tossing out crap like the coma theory, lemme put this to rest: The reason Ash is 10 is because the writers intentionally keep him 10 to appeal to the main demographic for the show, whether it makes any sense or not. It’s extremely weak logic directing that decision, but that’s the reason. If you want the whole story and all forms of evidence and arguments, I suggest you watch TheJWittz’ video on the matter, which I will give the link to below.
Speaking of which, in said video, he brought up the possibility and potential for a time skip. And I’m not saying that IS what’s happened, but it sure as heck looks like it. And honestly, I kinda hope so. The longer that he goes without growing up, the less people will tolerate him. He’s been at this for a while, he should NOT still be such a screw-up. And hey, there’s some hope on the horizon, since one of the first episodes apparently features him battling a Garchomp on a high rooftop. And y’know what? At least the opening promises to be more badass than Best Wishes did. lol
So, what do you guys think? Vote or comment below, and be sure to check out JWittz’ take on all of this as well (Hey, I like co-operating with my fellow Pokémon fans, gimme a break), and we’ll see what happened when the XY series begins. Ja né!
- Ash Ketchum’s Age – TheJWittz’ Pokémon Fact of The Day (youtube.com)
- Minecraft player recreates original Pokemon region (polygon.com)
- Pokémon XY Anime Promo Reveals New Characters (bagogames.com)
- Generation 6 Baby! (maddmoni.wordpress.com)
- The Original Pokemon Games, Recreated In Minecraft. Wow. (kotaku.com)
- Pokemon Mega Evolutions Leaked? Plus Pokemon: Genesect and the Legend Awakened and New X and Y Anime (reecewhiskey.wordpress.com)
- New Pokemon Anime Starring Red From Pokemon Red & Blue Announced (Trailer) (mynintendonews.com)
- Okay, Real Talk. What’s Going On With Ash Ketchum’s Age? (kotaku.com)
- Pokémon: The Origin – A Missed Opportunity? (bagogames.com)
- The Beginning of the End of Best Wishes (ibelieveachieveinspire.wordpress.com)