Marvelous May – Ms. Marvel vs Spider-Gwen
Welcome back to Marvelous May! Sorry this is a little late, but I got maybe just a little distracted by the reveal of the new Pokémon yesterday. Also, I kinda donated my hair. Basically, you put your hair into a ponytail once it’s long enough to make an 8 inch ponytail, cut it off, and then mail it to have it and a few other ponytails converted into a wig for people that have had chemotherapy. And I felt so good after doing that, honestly, I think I might just do it again, although it’s going to take a LONG time to get it back to that length again… … …Anyway, Kamala Khan, AKA Ms. Marvel, vs Gwen Stacy, AKA Spider-Woman!
This is actually a bout that I wish could’ve been saved for at least the semi-finals, if I can be 100% honest. And here’s why: We’re currently in the middle of a new age in Marvel. Regardless of why they chose to do so, whether it was out of a genuine desire to be more inclusive for the sake of new readers or out of wanting to make more money, the fact is that we’re seeing a lot more diversity in Marvel’s starring roles, and a lot of new heroes being pushed to the top. Admittedly, not all of these have been perfect attempts. I still think there have been some serious missteps with the new Thor books, for example, and while I appreciate Sam Wilson being pushed as a big deal and keeping the more traditional shield, the fact that we’ve got two Captains America is weird and I honestly don’t think anyone would REALLY be offended if Sam was referred to as Lieutenant America. But, for me, the two books that have really gotten this formula right are Ms. Marvel and Spider-Gwen. For me, these are the two who, when the old guard eventually hangs it up and calls it a day, will be the ones we look to as the heroes of our age.
I’ve gone on and on and on about what I like about Ms. Marvel in the past, so I’ll try to keep it brief here. Put bluntly, she is both a shining role model and heroine to all Muslim people in the real world, as well as someone that the average reader can identify with and love. She has trouble fitting in with both her family and her peers, she has a great sense of humour and wit, she likes a lot of geeky stuff, she writes fanfiction, she loves heroes, and she oftentimes makes mistakes that requires either quick thinking or the admission to her peers that she needs help to get out of. In a lot of ways, she’s the modern-day Peter Parker in that she’s immediately identifiable to the reader. Hopefully, though, when she eventually grows up, she actually acts like an adult, as opposed to the mainstream Peter Parker, who is a man-child, even after obtaining his own international business.
Speaking of being like Peter, though, Spider-Gwen works as a great alternate take on the mythology of Spider-Man. While this version of Gwen Stacy isn’t exactly like the one we knew way back when, she nonetheless is a great and likable character who finds herself in similar dilemmas to the mainstream Peter. She’s being pulled in a lot of different directions and is seen by some as an outlaw, and has to try to find out for herself what the right thing to do in each scenario presented is. And I love how her Peter is the Uncle Ben of her story: The one whose death ultimately taught her that with great power comes great responsibility. It was something that was done with Miles Morales, the Ultimate Spider-Man (which I don’t know why they dropped the Ultimate part of his name, even with the loss of his old universe, just to further keep his book distinct from Peter’s), but it’s done in a new way that honestly makes me wonder if things would’ve been any different in the mainstream universe if Peter WASN’T the one to get the spider bite.
But here’s the really big reason why this match means something to me personally: Currently, due to money constraints, G. Willow Wilson’s Ms. Marvel and Jason Latour’s Radioactive Spider-Gwen are the only two Marvel books I’m buying. Well, okay, I’m not actually buying either one right now, but that’s because I switched over to buying the trades when they come out. My point is, these are the only two properties by Marvel that are earning my money, not counting the movies (speaking of, Captain America Civil War was AMAZING, and I FAR prefer it to the event comic Civil War). So, should voting for this match end in a tie, I have no idea who to break the tie for. But hey, that’s all part of the excitement, am I right?
Anyway, time to begin voting! Make sure you get your votes in before May 17th, when we’ll learn who the winner of this match-up takes on in the semi-finals. Also, feel free to click the links below to learn more about these two heroines, and check back in tomorrow for the final match-up of the second round. Ja né!
Radioactive Spider-Gwen #6 Preview
Well, since I’m gonna be switching over to the trades, and I won’t be buying the Spider-Women crossover, I guess this will be the last issue of Spider-Gwen I personally buy in a while. It’s been one hell of a ride, though, so let’s close this out in a badass way: Spider-Gwen and Captain America vs the Green Goblin! Here’s the preview for Radioactive Spider-Gwen #6!
- THE FIRST ARC OF RADIOACTIVE SPIDER-GWEN REACHES ITS CONCLUSION!
- CAPTAIN AMERICA JOINS FORCES WITH SPIDER-GWEN AGAIN TO TAKE DOWN THE GREEN GOBLIN!
Radioactive Spider-Gwen #5 Preview
Hoo boy, I had a feeling the situation with George was gonna turn ugly sooner or later. For now, though, I present the preview for Radioactive Spider-Gwen #5.
- Captain George Stacy has always been a big force in Spider-Gwen’s life.
- But knowing that his daughter is the Spider-hero swinging around the city has taken its toll on him. Can he come to grips with the knowledge?
- Can she handle her police captain father if he can’t?
Radioactive Spider-Gwen #4 Preview
Radioactive Spider-Gwen #4 preview. ‘Nuff said. lol
- GWEN TAKES ON THE GOBLINS!
- ‘Nuff said.
Spider-Gwen Lyrics (AKA Gwen Stacy: The Insert-Cool-Sounding-Adjective-Here Spider-Woman)
Does it better than Spider-Men.
Spins a web, to and fro,
Nothing like this white widow.
Here comes the Spider-Gwen!
Is she strong? Listen bud,
She’s got radioactive blood.
It’s a gift and a curse,
Spinning out of Spider-Verse.
There goes the Spider-Gwen!
In the chill of night,
At the scene of a crime,
Like a streak of light,
She arrives just in time!
Friendly neighborhood Spider-Gwen.
There is nothing you must fear,
To her, life is a great big bang up.
Wherever there’s a hang up,
You’ll find the Spider-Gwen!
Spider-Gwen #5 and Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps #1 Previews
Carol Corps… … …erm… …Gwen Aggregation, unite! It’s time for early looks at this week’s comics, starting with Spider-Gwen #5!
- Still haunted by the death of her world’s young Peter Parker, Gwen Stacy pays a visit to the two people who knew him best.
Next up, take a drive down the highway to the danger zone with Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps #1!
- Atten-Hut! These ladies are the best of the best–and will take you down if you threaten their Captain.
- Welcome to Hala Field, where being a part of the elite Carol Corps, requires guts, guile and a whole lot of grit. So put on your uniform and get ready for a high-flying Captain Marvel series years in the making.
Spider-Gwen #4 Preview
Whoops! Almost let this one slip past! 😛 Oh well, here’s the preview for tomorrow’s Spider-Gwen #4!
- Learn what really happened the day that Peter Parker died! Gwen comes face to face with Ben and May Parker!
Spider-Gwen #3 Preview
Well, it’s that time again. Let’s take an early look at Spider-Gwen #3, as it seems things only continue to become more difficult for poor Gwen Stacy.
• Police Lieutenant Frank Castle is not a man to be trifled with.
• His new assignment? GET SPIDER-GWEN. ‘Nuff said.
Previews For Next Week’s Comics: Justice League United #10, Spider-Gwen #2, Ms. Marvel #13, and Captain Marvel #13
…Fuck it. I’m getting four comics next week, all of whom have previews out, so I’m just gonna post the links to them all at once. Let’s start with JLU #1o.
“The Infinitus Saga” reaches its stunning conclusion! The combined might of the JLU, the Legion of Super-Heroes, the Rannian War Fleet and the Thanagarians learn the true meaning of sacrifice as events unfold that will change the DC Universe forever!
WHO IS THE VULTURE?!
• Gwen finds herself between a rock (this vulture) and a hard place (the entire NYPD)!
• Don’t miss this second issue of the Spider-Character who set the world on fire!
• A mysterious stranger arrives in Jersey City!
• Is it possible Kamala Khan is about to develop… a CRUSH?! Yes. It is.
• DRAMA! INTRIGUE! ROMANCE! SUSPENSE! PUNCHING THINGS!
• Look out, Mighty Marvelites! In this issue, Captain Marvel faces against space swashbucklers!
• Who would you put your bets on — Captain Marvel or a group of bloodthirsty Space Pirates?
Spider-Gwen #1 Preview
…Screw it, I’m linking to previews of the comics I get from now on. lol Well, I don’t really have time to do full reviews for new comics, since I go get them on the same night I go to play Dungeons & Dragons at Heroes’ Beacon (Oh yeah, I’m finally getting into D&D, thank goodness, lol), and I wanna encourage people to read comics, so here we are. This is the preview for Gwen Stacy: The Insert-Cool-Sounding-Adjective-Here Spider-Woman#1………..Oh, sorry, Spider-Gwen #1. 😛
SPIDER-GWEN SPINS INTO HER OWN SERIES!
• BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT! The breakout hit of the biggest Spider-Event of the century is taking comic shops by storm this winter with her own new ongoing series – SPIDER-GWEN!
• Gwen Stacy is Spider-Woman, but you knew that already. What you DON’T know is what friends and foes are waiting for her in the aftermath of Spider-Verse!
• From the fan-favorite creative team that brought you Spider-Gwen’s origin story in EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE, Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez!