So yeah, even though Guardians of Gaia isn’t finished yet, and is actually on another hiatus, I’ve already been compiling a list of ideas for a future PR fic, assuming I ever do one. And, as always, I’m eager to get input from my friends and fans, as well as general fans of Power Rangers. So, for now, here’s a list of ideas I’ve got, with the bold ones being must-haves.
- Layla as the mentor of the team: Basically, the idea goes that Layla, my Blue Ranger in GoG, would return as the mentor for the new team. She would supply the team with their tech, and impart her own experience as a Power Ranger to the next generation.
- A thick-bodied female Ranger: Okay, I know that Saban (and Disney, back when they owned and ran the show) may feel inclined to cast fit, skinny actresses as their Power Rangers as a means of having them be at least close to the build of their Sentai counterparts. And I’m not saying this as any kind of slight against any of the women who have been Power Rangers, either, as there’s not a single one of them I have any kind of real issue with. I’m just saying, it would be nice to have a thick girl as a Power Ranger someday, and if it’s never gonna happen for real, then I feel like I should at least do it for a fanfic.
- A male Pink Ranger: Alright, maybe this only really bothers me as a member of the LGBTQ community (yeah, what a shock, and I’ve been hiding it SO well over the years, lol), but really, why is this a thing? Why is a guy in pink still considered odd? Why is it that guys seemingly only know the names of different shades of colours when they have to insist something of theirs (usually their clothes) isn’t pink when it is? Seriously, there are plenty of guys, even 100% straight, white guys, who can pull off pink just fine. So why is it that, after four decades of Super Sentai, we still do not have a guy in pink? The closest we’ve come is the all Pink Ranger Gokai Change from one of the Gokaiger movies. And yeah, isn’t it odd that, in a series that ate through as much Sentai footage as it could, we never saw that in Power Rangers Super Megaforce? And yeah, I know, I had that team go Legendary Pink Ranger Mode in a fanfic, but I still kinda wanna do a full-time male Pink Ranger.
- A team of Rangers that represent different emotions: Think of it kind of like the different Lantern Corps, just not necessarily the same colours or emotions. I mean, we’ve had enemy factions in both PR and the Sentai (and in Kamen Rider, for that matter) who are sort of representatives of different emotions, but never a team of Rangers that does the same thing.
- A group of Zords based on animals we’ve never seen used before: Be honest, we all are always wanting to see this. If nothing else, the core set of Zords used by teams in the past have found themselves repeated over and over. In particular, tyrannosauruses, sharks, triceratops, lions, wolves, pterodactyls, elephants/mastodons, and tigers of all sorts have been used repeatedly over the years. We usually only see other, more outside-the-box animals and creatures used when the Rangers have massive fleets of Zords.
- Team-up with Guardians of Gaia: Really, I honestly can’t imagine doing a second PR fic and not having a team-up with these guys. And really, there’s no reason not to, either. It’s my team and my story, and there are plenty of ways to justify a crossover, especially if I went with the first idea on this list.
Anyway, that’s all I’ve got so far. What would you like to see added to this list? Let me know in the comments below, and we’ll see what happens when GoG wraps up. Ja né!
So, it’s been a couple of years, but I finally decided to get back to work on my Power Rangers fanfic, Guardians of Gaia, by posting ‘Season 2’ of the story. For the uninitiated, here’s the basic premise of my story: A parallel world to Earth called Gaia, which is tied to the natural elements of the world, is facing disaster. The Dark Zones of said world have been taken over by a powerful being called Dradarius, who is looking to conquer all of the other zones, cities, and locales of Gaia. Its ancient protectors, the Guardians of Gaia, disappeared millenia ago, and the source of their miraculous powers, the Gaian Crystals, with them. However, the crystals weren’t lost, instead passed down through the Guardians’ bloodlines…who wound up on Earth. As such, when five of them are brought back together by five college students, said students are sent to Gaia to protect it, not only as the newest Guardians of Gaia, but as the newest team of Power Rangers.
Furthermore, here’s a quick rundown of the main characters of the fic. And keep in mind, these rundowns do possess some spoilers, so if you don’t wanna know, scroll down past them.
- Nichelle “Nikki” Markson – The Red Gaia Ranger and Guardian of Fire. She’s a natural leader and a disciplined martial artist and fencer, and while she initially had trouble with long-range weapons, she’s since improved her aim with them. She’s a tenacious fighter and strategist who has defeated many powerful foes single-handedly, including the massive Plesio Lightless and the soul-stealing Ammit Lightless, but she has trouble dealing with loss, and treats any injuries that befall her friends as personal failures of hers. Despite these short-comings, Nikki has nonetheless earned the right to be named the true Guardian of Fire by the most stubborn of races on Gaia, the volcanic Magma Naga. Her Gaia Zord is the Phoenix Zord, which can assault foes with its razor-sharp talons, flame breath, and burning aileron roll.
- Patrick “Pat” O’Donnell – The Green Gaia Ranger and Guardian of Wind. Born to a meteorologist and a geologist, Patrick has learned much of his parents’ trades, and has also become skilled at fencing and parkour. He’s easily the most gifted swordsman of the team, using finesse and a little bit of luck to topple monsters like the Skeleton Lightless, who had previously bested the others in 4-on-1 combat. He has trouble admitting what he’s really thinking at times, and tends to put the good of others over himself to the point of self-sacrifice. Furthermore, an incident in battle cost him the use of his eyes, requiring him to further hone his natural and wind-based senses to compensate. His Gaia Zord is the Hippogriff Zord, which can both ride and manipulate the winds with ease, generate small tornadoes, and stomp down on foes with its thick hooves.
- Layla Bluestone – The Blue Gaia Ranger and Guardian of Water. A gamer-girl and tech expert, Layla was initially weak in combat, preferring to fight from a long distance, but has since toughened up a bit, once defeating the Frog Lightless by enduring its attacks long enough to find its weak point. An open lesbian, she’s currently dating a Dryad named Faye, and once subconsciously and unsuccessfully tried to hit on Nikki. While she’s occasionally made mistakes doing so, she’s been working to improve and expand upon the team’s weapons and equipment. She initially believed she was Madilyn’s sister, but this was revealed to be false, though she quickly forgave her and accepted her as her sister in her heart, regardless of blood relation. Her Gaia Zord is the Leviathan Zord, a long sea serpent which can coil around foes, tripping them up or keeping them held firmly in place, and can attack with blasts of ice.
- Dirk Slater – The Orange Gaia Ranger and Guardian of Earth. He is the muscle of the group, having grown up on a farm and having taken up wrestling in high school. While he’s occasionally the source of comedic relief, oftentimes pointing out certain long-standing tropes and coincidences in Ranger history, he also has a much more sensitive side to him he tries to hide. When the Doppelganger Lightless tried to trick him by appearing as his sister, Dirk was angered to the point of vengeance at the idea of villains using family against someone, especially his own. He also has occasionally butted heads with Layla over whether the Gaia Zords are machines or living creatures, though the two are still friends regardless of belief. His Gaia Zord is the Behemoth Zord, a bull-like monstrosity who mows down foes with its massive horns and orange energy orbs.
- Madilyn ‘Mad’ Bluestone – The Violet Gaia Ranger and Guardian of Lightning. Initially, Madilyn believed herself to be the leader of the group, as she was the one who brought them all together initially, but eventually conceded the position to Nikki, though the two can still butt heads at times. Her more hyperactive, chaotic, and overly optimistic stance has been known to cause turmoil for the team, as has her over-protectiveness of Layla, but she’s since come to grips with why she behaves in such a manner and tried her best to cool down for her team’s sake. Still, her energy is oftentimes seen as a major asset to the group, and she can at times think outside the box to confuse enemies, like the telepathic Satori Lightless. Her Gaia Zord is the Thunderbird Zord, which can launch electrified feathers from its wings, and can shoot lightning from its eyes.
- Jowar – The Wizard Ranger and Guardian of Light. The last of the Wizards of Gaia, he gave up his powers years ago to his newborn son, Walker. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a mistake when Walker was taken and raised by Dradarius, Usurper of the Dark Throne, and raised to be one of his Shadowmancers. However, Jowar later came across the Light Crystal, which reinvigorated him. He mostly prefers to wait on the team in the Ancient Library as their mentor, though this is mainly due to the crystal’s power weakening the further away from the library he gets. But, when the time calls for it, his light-based powers are the natural foil for Dradarius’ dark-based monsters, such as the mighty Orthrus Lightless. While he doesn’t possess a Gaia Zord of his own, he controls the Magna Cannon, a giant weapon that emerges from the Ancient Library, which can blast apart monsters or empower the Rangers’ Zords.
- Drayden Snyder – The Indigo Ranger and Guardian of Darkness. Despite learning Muay Thai kick-boxing growing up, Drayden always felt like a cheap imitation of his explorer father, Professor Charles Snyder. However, he was dragged into Gaia and was given the chance to become his own man if he fused his body and consciousness with that of a disembodied spirit. Unfortunately, said spirit was a former Dark General named Dargoon, who tried to destroy Gaia and nearly defeated the Rangers until they freed Drayden from his control. At first, he alienated himself from his father and the group, thinking himself evil because of the darkness still inside him, until he realized he wasn’t and officially joined the team. His Gaia Zord is the Dragon Zord, which can blast enemies with powerful dark flames, and is strong enough to carry the Rangers’ Gaia Megazord on its back while in flight.
Anyway, if you’re interested in the story, feel free to click the links below and start reading, and be sure to let me know what you think of it so far. Ja né!
So, there’re a couple of projects I’m considering doing for the 20th Anniversary of Pokémon this year. One of them is a Let’s Play (no commentary included, sorry), which unfortunately can’t go on YouTube due to Nintendo’s issues with their content on there, but I will be posting to Facebook instead. With that said, I WAS decided on which one I’d play, but now I’m a little indecisive, so I’d like it if you could give me some feedback. The only thing I know for sure is that I want it to be a game that takes place in the Kanto Region, so either Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed, or LeafGreen. So, I’d like for you guys reading to let me know in the comments which you’d prefer to see me play. Conversely, however, if there is an existing rom hack of a Pokémon game that takes place in Kanto and utilizes the physical/special split introduced in Generation IV, please let me know, because I’ve long since contended that that’s the way the game should’ve been meant to play from the beginning.
The other thing I’m considering doing is a fanfic. And yeah, I know my track record with fanfiction and leaving stuff unfinished, but I would really like to at least give it a shot. However, with this one, I’d like to instead have it set in my own region, with my own protagonists, and my own Regional Pokédex. Now, for the most part, I think I’d like the Pokémon present to reflect the original games’ roster, but I’m gonna want to toss in some more, take a few away, and ultimately leave myself with about 200. As such, I’d like to know if there are any Pokémon you’d want to see in this story, which ones from the Kanto Dex are worth keeping, and which ones aren’t. With that said, here’s a list of Pokémon that, should I end up doing this project, would NEED to be in.
- Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Mega Venusaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Mega Charizard (both versions), Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Mega Blastoise, Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Eevee and all of its evolutions, Wooper, Quagsire, Sneasel, Weavile, Emolga, Sawk, Tyrunt, Tyrantrum
Anyway, PLEASE give me your thoughts on these projects, give your responses to my questions, and also lemme know which one you might prefer to see over the other in case I only have time to do one this year. Ja né!
Yeah, sorry it’s been a while since I last posted anything about my Digimon fic. Long story short, Super Mario Maker. lol Anyway, for your patience, an early preview of Chapter 4. Enjoy!
The trio rode for close to a half an hour before coming to a stop just outside the animal shelter. There were lots of animals both in the main building and behind some fences outside. Getting off their bikes and skateboard, the trio followed Neilina to one of the cages, where they quickly spotted a girl inside, feeding a rather big and mean-looking dog like it was a puppy. Once she was done, she turned to face the three, a little surprised. She wore a red and white hat over long ginger hair, she had deep blue eyes, and she wore a skirt that ended just above her knees. For a moment, she seemed less than happy to see Neilina, but smiled anyway.
“Hello, Neilina,” the girl said, walking up to greet her. “It’s been a little while since we last talked, huh?”
Neilina nodded, looking awkward and nervous. “Yeah, it has. Sayuri, I wanted you to meet my friends. Satoshi, Yuji, this is Sayur-“
Turning back to face the boys, Neilina immediately felt like groaning, just looking at their expressions. Both were looking at Sayuri like she was Miss Universe or something, clearly completely enamoured by the lovely girl’s appearance, while Neilina might as well have been transparent to them both.
“…BOYS,” Neilina growled, snapping her fingers to get their attention. “Yeesh. I see some things haven’t changed since we last met, huh?”
Sayuri giggled, blushing in embarrassment. “Sorry! I don’t mean to make boys like this, honest!”
Neilina rolled her eyes. “You don’t have to…ugh, nevermind. Sayuri Shigematsu, this is Satoshi Sakamoto and Yuji Yamaguchi.”
“Nice to meet you both,” Sayuri said, smiling and holding a hand out.
“N-Nice to m-m-meet you,” Satoshi stammered, shaking Sayuri’s hand.
“Forgive us, but Neilina didn’t say we were meeting a girl,” Yuji added. “Especially not one as radiant as you.”
Sayuri blushed even harder. “Oh, you boys! You’re making me embarrassed!”
Neilina face-palmed hard enough to send out an echo. “…ANYWAY, Sayuri, I was wondering if we could talk to you and Taishiro.”
Sayuri’s eye twitched slightly, her mood immediately changing to one of concern as she turned to face Neilina. “…Taishiro?”
“Please, Sayuri,” Neilina pleaded. “It’s really important.”
Sayuri’s shoulders slumped a little, her previous joy seemingly evaporated. “…He’s upstairs. C’mon, I’ll take you to him.”
Once again, Satoshi couldn’t help but be confused. The atmosphere seemingly changed so drastically, and he couldn’t quite put his finger on why. Still, he and Yuji followed after the two girls as they went inside and headed up a staircase, before they came to a stop at a door. After a quick knock on it, a young voice from the other side told them they could come in. Sayuri opened the door and led the group into a room where some puppies were playing with a young boy, looking to be no older than 8, with short blond hair. He looked a little nervous at the sight of the older boys, but became a little more friendly upon seeing Neilina.
“Neilina, it’s good to see you again!” the boy cheered, hugging Neilina. “I’ve missed you!”
Neilina smiled a little, hugging the boy back. “It’s good to see you too, Taishiro…”
Yuji’s eyes widened in surprise. “Wait…he can’t possibly be one of the kids we’re here to see, can he?”
Neilina looked back to Yuji before gesturing to the door, at which point he closed it. Once the five were alone, Neilina looked back to Taishiro and Sayuri, giving a small nod. The two then looked to each other and nodded before reaching into their pockets. Sure enough, Sayuri and Taishiro both pulled out Digivice DMs, a red one and a green one, before streaks of light poured out of them, producing two Digimon. Sayuri’s was a yellow and orange bird-like Digimon in an eggshell with a tiny sword slung over his back, while Taishiro’s was a green, four-legged Amphibian Digimon with an orange-red spine across her head and back.
“Satoshi, they really ARE like you guys!” Agumon observed from Satoshi’s Digivice before appearing in a flash of light, followed by Lopmon and Gabumon.
“The amphibian is Betamon,” Yuji announced, scanning the creature. “This one in particular is a girl. Her finishing attack is a powerful Electric Shock.”
“And the other one is Hyokomon, a Chick Digimon,” Satoshi added, scanning Sayuri’s partner with his Digivice. “Despite being a Rookie, he’s pretty dedicated to mastering swordsmanship and becoming a samurai.”
“Wow, you both have Digimon?!” Taishiro exclaimed, pointing his Digivice at Agumon. “I gotta see…Agumon, a Reptile Digimon. Says his attack is Pepper Breath.”
“And Yuji’s partner is Gabumon, also a Reptile Digimon,” Sayuri explained, scanning Gabumon. “They’re typically shy, and like to wear the pelts of Garurumon to hide their bodies underneath, kinda like humans and our clothes.”
“I-I’m not shy!” Gabumon insisted, blushing and shifting a bit. “I just…don’t see any reason to be running around naked, unlike some Digimon…”
So yeah, our two new DigiDestined are Sayuri Shigematsu and Taishiro Takeuchi, and their partners Hyokomon and Betamon. Also, I know it was established canon that Digimon don’t have genders, but I’m kinda tossing that out for reasons I’ve established prior. Plus, N. Harmonik thought, and I agreed, that it’d be neat to have a boy DigiDestined have a female Digimon Partner, since we’d already had girl DigiDestined with male partners before.
Anyway, lemme know what you think so far of this chapter, and be sure to check it out once posted. Ja né!
So, in the newest chapter of my Digimon fic, which you can read here, I acknowledged the existence of more kids with Digimon partners. In fact, in the next chapter, we’ll be seeing two more kids join the team. As such, here’s an early preview of these new kids:
…Yeah, my silhouettes could use work. lol Anyway, without giving too much away, one of the kids will have a Digimon partner never before seen on the show and only appeared in Japan-only video games, and the other will use an old classic favourite to many. So, yeah, either way, plenty of people are in for a treat.
Anyway, lemme know what you think of the fic thus far, and if there’s any favourite Digimon of your own that you’d like to see make appearances in the future. Ja né!
So, I thought since my Digimon fic is making progress that I’d post an early preview of Chapter 3. Enjoy!
“WOULD YOU TWO KNOCK IT OFF?!” the two heard a rather terrifying voice boom out, looking to the edge of the roof to see Neilina standing there with a vein in her forehead threatening to turn into a bolt of lightning, Lopmon perched nervously on her shoulders. “Seriously, you’re both lucky your little fight is in an abandoned part of town!”
The two boys quickly parted, turning away from each other in a huff as Neilina sighed in exasperation. “Look, we’ve got enough to worry about without fighting with each other. I suggest the two of you stop bickering like children and focus more of that energy on fighting Digimon crossing into our world.”
“Sorry, but I do things my own way,” Yuji commented. “Besides, you want kids who will do what you tell them? There’s plenty more of us around town.”
Satoshi’s eyes widened a bit in shock. “There are?”
“What, did you think you were the first kid she gave a Digivice to?” Yuji scoffed. “Sorry to burst your bubble, ‘Goggle Boy’, but you’re really not that special. Neilina’s been recruiting for, what, at least a few months? Gotta be about a half a dozen of us by now.”
Satoshi’s jaw dropped for a second, but he quickly recomposed himself. “If that’s true, then we need to get everyone together to take down the Digimon coming over!”
“They’re not ready,” Neilina interjected, looking away. “Some of them don’t want to fight, and others are…doing other things right now.”
“…’Doing other things’?” Satoshi inquired, confused.
Yuji shrugged, walking away. “Gotta say, Neilina, you’re not very good at this whole child-soldier-recruitment thing…”
Lopmon practically stared a hole through Yuji at this comment. “Neilina is NOT recruiting child soldiers!”
“It’s an army of children!” Yuji retorted as he stopped walking, a small crackle of energy running through his Digivice. “That’s pretty much the exact definition of child soldiers!”
“You make it sound like they don’t have a choice, though!” Neilina argued, the screen of her Digivice DM going to static for a moment.
“Oh, please!” Yuji growled, looking suddenly furious. “You handed v-pets out willy nilly, never once telling the people you were giving them to what they were getting into! Then, AFTER they’re already linked to a Digimon, you give a little speech about how they need to help, and like puppets on strings, they do as they’re told!”
“I AM NOT A PUPPET!” Satoshi shouted, not noticing a small spark leave his Digivice.
“Uhh, guys?!” Gabumon tried to speak up. “I don’t think you know this, but something weird’s going on with-“
“And another thing, at least I’m TRYING to help out instead of just running around being a jerk!” Satoshi ranted.
“Yeah, ‘cuz that’s ALL I do!” Yuji roared, getting face-to-face with Satoshi again. “I don’t try to help people, I don’t stop Digimon that pass between worlds, I just run around giving wedgies all day!”
“Both of you, time out!” Neilina yelled, slapping hands on both of them.
“BUTT OUT!” Satoshi and Yuji shouted, just as all three Digivices suddenly released a mass of energy that knocked the kids to the ground.
Satoshi groaned, grabbing his head as he sat up. Looking up in the air, he watched in horror as the sky itself suddenly had a small tear ripped into it, releasing gusts of wind that pushed at the three kids and their Digimon. Within moments, not one but three figures began to emerge from it, all looking to be small, stout, ogre-like Digimon of varying colours.
“…Okay, THAT one’s on us,” Neilina muttered with a gulp.
And that’s all for now. Lemme know what you think in the comments, click the logo below to read what I’ve got so far, and also let me know if there are any other Digimon you’d like to see in future chapters. Ja né!
Yup, it’s finally time. I’ve decided to begin work on ‘Season 2’ of my PR fanfic, Guardians of Gaia. As such, here’s an early preview of the first chapter of Season 2, entitled ‘Always A Ranger’. 🙂
Within a few minutes, the team were walking along a sidewalk that ran alongside one of the main roads in the city. And yet, as even Patrick could tell, there didn’t seem to be a single person in the streets today, be it on foot or in cars. On top of that, a lot of the buildings seemed to have their blinds let down, and in some cases, they were even boarded over.
“…Okay, this is creeping me out,” Layla admitted. “What happened here?”
“I dunno, maybe the zombie apocalypse happened while we were gone?” Madilyn suggested. “Or the city had to be evacuated because of some natural disaster?”
“What kind of disaster doesn’t leave a so much as a scratch in its wake?” Nikki pointed out, as sure enough, there wasn’t the slightest sign of damage to the city anywhere.
“Maybe everyone was bamf’d out?” Drayden guessed, causing Dirk to look at him like he’d grown a second head. “…What?”
“A Nightcrawler reference?” Dirk asked. “You had a massive brooding phase as a kid, didn’t you?”
“Kinda,” Drayden acknowledged with a shrug. “To be honest, being the Guardian of Darkness shouldn’t have been a surprise in the long run.”
Nikki rolled her eyes before looking over to Patrick, who had to be guided along the sidewalk by Madilyn. “How are you holding up?”
“Not so great,” Patrick replied. “Without my wind sense, I’m completely blind.”
“Didn’t you train with blindfolds before that, though?” Mad inquired.
“Yeah, for fighting with a sword,” Pat answered. “Not so much with just walking down the street.”
“Actually, we’re on a sidewalk,” Madilyn corrected him, causing him to groan slightly. “And anyway, for once, I’m just glad that we’re not having to-“
Before Madilyn could finish her sentence, though, the team heard a loud gurgling echo through the streets. Within moments, a series of familiar-looking shadowy figures emerged from the shadows of the buildings and the cracks of the sidewalks, forming a pack of at least thirty red-eyed monstrosities that readied their claws threateningly before the team.
“…fight,” Madilyn finished, looking depressed.
“Blots?!” Dirk demanded as the team formed up. “On Earth?! How?!”
“We’ll figure it out later!” Nikki yelled, pulling her crystal free of its chain. “It’s Morphin Time!“
Patrick, Layla, Dirk, and Drayden all nodded, pulling their own crystals free as the five set them in their respective Morphers, all while Madilyn stood off to the side. “Guardians of Gaia, AWAKEN!” the five called, their Morphers aimed at the Blots as they shot out rainbow coloured blasts…only for them to fizzle out before they made contact.
“…Oh, that’s not good,” Madilyn observed.
“Our connection’s too weak!” Layla realized. “We can’t morph!”
“Then we’ll just have to take ’em the old fashioned way!” Nikki insisted as the Blots charged them. “Let’s go!”
With that, the six rushed the charging Blots, immediately taking on smaller groups each. Nikki found herself dropkicking one Blot square in the chest before springing off and catching two more in the eyes with her heels, causing them both to evaporate. Landing on her front, she spun her legs around, tripping up another pair of Blots before getting back to her feet. She then threw a leaping roundhouse that took out yet another Blot, then followed this up by blasting the three she’d knocked down with her Morpher.
“Well, at least THIS still works a little!” Layla noted, weaving between Blots and blasting them down to the ground. “How are you holding up, sis?!”
“Oh, just peachy!” Madilyn yelled, ducking slashes and kicking Blots down wherever possible, blasting them in the eyes when she got the chance. “I really, REALLY miss my daggers right now!”
Patrick chose to ignore this, trying his best to focus his senses on the Blots. Just barely managing to catch one’s wrist as it tried to slash him, he swung his feet up, catching another Blot in the face, and proceeded to kick from one Blot to the next and to the next before he landed and tossed the one he was holding over his shoulder. Just as it started to get back up, though, another Blot was body slammed down onto it by Dirk, who then charged at another and caught it shoulder-first in the gut. He then picked it up in a fireman’s carry, spinning it around.
“Patrick, up high!” Dirk yelled, tossing the Blot off his shoulders. Patrick nodded, springing up and catching the Blot across the eyes with his shin. The two then stood back to back as more Blots started to swarm them, emptying out of nearby alleyways. “So, you wanna take the couple dozen on the left?”
Before Patrick could retort, a primal yell from Drayden rang out as he ran in, cleaving Blots down with the Dragon Buster. “C’mon! We gotta bring these guys down!”
“They just keep coming!” Layla called, just before getting caught in the gut by a Blot’s elbow and backhanded to the ground.
“SIS!” Madilyn yelled, charging and tackling the Blot down, only to get clobbered in the back by two more.
“We’ve gotta regroup!” Nikki shouted, kicking down another Blot. “Everybody! Let’s-“
Just as Nikki was about to order a retreat, however, a single figure in black jeans and a tank-top leaped in, kicking a Blot with so much force that it tumbled into six more before coming to a stop in the middle of the road. Nikki blinked in shock at the newcomer: An Asian man in his late-30s, staring down the Blots with a determination the likes of which she’d never seen. The Blots quickly started to group up, preparing to fight him.
“Whoever you are, you better get outta here!” Nikki advised. “There’s too many!”
The man simply smirked, reaching into his pocket as he muttered “Not for long.” To Nikki’s amazement, the man pulled out a very familiar-looking silver and red buckler with a gold coin in the centre, emblazoned with the image of a mastodon. Before the Blots could advance, he thrust it forward and yelled “It’s Morphin Time! Mastodon!” A burst of energy ripped out from the device, coating his body in a black and white costume before placing itself on a white belt, a black helmet appearing over the man’s head.
“…The Black Ranger,” Nikki whispered in awe. “The original.”
“Actually, I’m the second, but who’s counting, right?” Adam Park, the Black Mighty Morphin Ranger, snarked.
If you haven’t guessed, the opening chapters of Guardians of Gaia will be a team-up with veteran Rangers as the team tries to make their way back to Gaia. And yes, I do have the ulterior motive of basically redoing Once A Ranger while fixing everything I felt went wrong with it. lol Anyway, be sure to check it out once it’s been posted, and until then, check out the new logo made by Bilico86, or click the link below it to check out Season 1 and get caught up or refresh your memory. Ja né!
So, something I haven’t talked about on the blog up until now was a one-shot Batman fanfic I wrote last month called The Green Man. If you wanna read it, click the link below to do so now, because I’m gonna be spoiling the ending a bit for you if you haven’t. I should warn, though, that this fic is rated M due to coarse language and mature subject matter.
…Okay, so for those that didn’t read, here’s the gist of the story: It takes place on the pre-Flashpoint New Earth, though after the events of Convergence. Basically, rolling with the idea that all the old worlds were restored as part of an infinitely spanning Multiverse with the New 52 Multiverse at the centre of it (or at least that’s how I understand things work now, I could be wrong). A body turns up in a diner that leads Batman and Proxy to learn the horrible story of a man who is a high-functioning autistic (or as I kept referring to it as, ‘low-level’, because I guess I just considered it the same thing while writing, and if it isn’t, then I apologize). It’s a sad story, but at the end, I left a small glimmer of hope, which the reader can take to mean whatever they want it to. I’m not exactly planning on doing anything further with the story.
So, for the benefit of those that didn’t read the story or the Author’s Notes at the end (because I always like to add those), I need to elaborate and come clean about something, in case I haven’t made it clear already: I have Asperger’s syndrome. This basically means that I am, more or less by technicality, considered autistic. Like the Green Man in my story, I am high-functioning, but just being considered autistic is enough to make it hard for me to get a job. Add in the fact that I only have a GED and not an actual high school diploma, or any kind of college or university degrees, and…well, you kinda get a good idea of what my life is like. In short, I’m a 30-year-old man still living at home, blogging about comic books and other forms of escapist fiction. Not that there’s anything wrong with blogging about escapist fiction, because if there was, I wouldn’t have done so for the past going-on-600-articles, just that I’d like to have a job and a place of my own on top of that.
Regardless, I should make it clear that The Green Man is NOT based off of my own personal experiences, but rather is a cautionary tale of what could happen to someone like this someday. Not to say we’re all a step away from being a Green Man, just that it COULD happen. To be perfectly honest, it’s almost my nightmare scenario of what my life could someday turn out to be like, or could have if certain points of my life had happened differently. I’m always worrying about stuff like what could happen if I find that I’m unable to support myself when the time comes that I simply cannot live with Mom and Dad anymore, which will inevitably happen if for no other reason than the simple fact that no one lives forever. And the truth is, for all of our progress, there are still people in the world who believe things like autism are some kind of a disease that either needs to be cured or needs to be prevented from being genetically passed on any further. Being labelled as autistic, some employers will simply outright reject a person just for that and then give whatever excuse they need for doing so that helps them sleep at night. There are people out there right now who have never met me, but upon learning that I’m autistic, would want to deny me the right to have children and carry on my family line and legacy to avoid the risk of creating additional children with autism, even though it’s a known fact that people without any kind of disability, handicap, or hindrance have had children that did, meaning removing me from the equation does NOTHING.
But there IS hope, people. I really and truly believe that, in spite of my fears and concerns, and what I know about the world as it is right now. In truth, the reason that the very end of the story may seem tacked on is because…well, it was. I wasn’t originally going to add it, and even when I thought of it, I was still on the fence about it. Ultimately, though, I added it because I want everyone that reads to know that there is hope for every person with any kind of mental or physical issue. It’s not something that needs to be cured. Rather, it needs to be accepted by those that don’t have them, and overcome by each and every person that does. Obviously, I don’t mean that people who can’t walk should be able to, or people born without ears should be able to hear naturally, but that having these issues neither controls their lives nor defines them. Not to mention, some of these hindrances come packaged with some advantages. Personally speaking, I’ve been told that there are benefits to Asperger’s. Many have increased levels of creativity, and can display intense interests in otherwise difficult to grasp concepts. I know I do. In fact, if you look on Wikipedia about Asperger’s, there’s a picture of a kid who is DEEPLY fascinated by molecular structure. Some of us have been known to have a hyper-sensitivity to taste. For example, I can taste traces of mint on a piece of chocolate with no mint in it, just because it was laying in a box of chocolates next to a piece that DID have mint in it… … …And yes, I oftentimes wonder if there is a way to use this power to fight crime. What would my alias be then? The Tongue? lol
With that said, I will say this: Facilities like the one I described in this work of fiction DO exist. There are places where people with varying levels of physical and mental disabilities, handicaps, and disorders can go to get job training, and there are still employers that will turn them down in spite of this. And I know this because I went to one for eight years, and upon leaving to seek real employment elsewhere, I have since come up with nothing. Mind you, a large part of this is my fault. I want to someday be a writer, but that requires a better education with a degree of some sort. Unfortunately, I can’t get a job in writing because I don’t have the money to go back to school, I can’t get the money without a job, and I can’t get a decent paying job without more job experience or, you guessed it, a better education. At this point, I think my only option would be fast food, and you’ll forgive me if I don’t want to be 30, living at home, and have my job be defined as “Would you like a hot apple pie with that?”. And I’m not saying anyone who falls under that category is a loser or anything like that, it’s just not what I want to do, and yes, that is entirely my own problem. Despite that, though, we as a species still need to be more accepting and willing to give people a chance to show that they can do anything the normal (whatever that means) person can do. We are, all of us, human beings, and every single human being needs to be given a chance at some point or another. And if you still can’t figure out what it was that finally inspired me to talk about all of this…well, just take a quick glance at some of the major headlines in the news for the past year or so. It’s true, we’re making great strides in some areas when it comes to accepting people who are different and granting them the same rights and privileges as anyone else, but we could still do so much better in others. And on a personal note, when the #1 group that most people think of in the world that are supposed to be supporting people with autism are the very same people who think of autism as a disease, that’s a huge problem.
Anyway, that’s my thoughts on the matter, based on my own personal experiences, and the experiences of those I’ve encountered and bore witness to over the years. And I’m sorry that I never brought this up before and that it’s all coming out in one big rant, but…well, for starters, it’s called Jyger’s Rant for a reason, and the other thing is that, for a long time, I didn’t know that I was the right person to talk about it, or that I had enough relevant things to say about it that anyone would care about. If that’s still true, then I apologize for wasting your time, but a lot has changed since I first started this blog, and I feel a bit more comfortable and confident talking about stuff that really matters to me, so I hope you took the time to read this. And hey, if you did read the fanfic, be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section either below this article or on Fanfiction.net. Ja né!
…Yeah, been a while. lol I kinda got distracted with a Yu-Gi-Oh! one-shot (and yes, I openly admit to being a dork), but I’m back on track. So, with that said, here’s an early look at Chapter 6 of my Justice League fanfic.
Robinson Park is easily the largest park in Gotham City. It covers a huge area, stretching out from central to southern Gotham, and is home to many landmarks, including a memorial site dedicated to many of the city’s policemen, firemen, and medical staff. Aside from a chase between the GCPD and a certain shadowy vigilante years ago, the park has otherwise managed to avoid much of the usual havoc that Gotham City is typically known for, even being seen by some people as a safe haven, to the point where many in Gotham have jokingly been taking bets as to how long this peace can last.
As such, it was only natural that all hell broke loose there first, as a scream in the middle of the night followed by the sound of trees being smashed clear out of their roots made it clear this was no longer a safe haven. And while there were police officers in the park that were quick to respond, they were likewise quick to find themselves in over their heads, as they came face to eye with a massive, starfish-like creature with a single red eye. Starro lashed out with his giant tentacles, managing to hit one officer so hard that he was dead long before he hit the ground. The others took shelter behind the trees, firing at the eye with their guns.
“Dispatch, Robinson Park patrol in need of immediate back-up!” one officer yelled into his walkie-talkie. “Dispatch, do you copy?!”
“Sending officers now, but we’re low on hands!” the dispatch officer replied. “There’s been some kind of break-out at Arkham! Reports of something not human!”
“Ya don’t say?!” the reporting officer demanded, rolling away as Starro tore out the tree he had ducked behind. Just as the star-shaped alien was about to smash said tree down onto the cop, though, a rocket shot through the sky and hit the tree hard, releasing a fast-acting freezing gas over the tree and Starro’s tentacle. As Starro backed off, the small, jet-black airship, the Batwing, flew down out of the night sky, shining a bat-shaped spotlight down on the massive alien.
“The hell was that?” Green Lantern asked as he and the others stood in the ship, Batman sitting in the pilot seat.
“Thermionic gas,” the Dark Knight replied. “Let’s just say that Dr. Fries has a fairly large investment in the development of cryogenics.”
“Think it’ll show him down?!” Flash inquired, just as Starro smashed the frozen tree into the ground, snapping it and the tip of his own tentacle clean off, before regenerating it. “…Nevermind.”
“Yeah, probably freezing something that can fly through the vacuum of space wasn’t a smart move,” Wonder Woman observed before turning to Superman. “…Cal?”
“They’re here,” Calvin replied, using his x-ray vision to look past the trees and spot several figures approaching behind Starro. “There’s at least six of them.”
“Guess we all pick a partner, then?” Ivy suggested.
“Be careful, they’ll all know everything I do about your abilities,” Batman reminded the team.
“Then let’s hope your paranoia didn’t uncover ALL of our strengths and weaknesses,” Doctor Fate retorted as he and the others, sans Batman, exited the Batwing through the side and bottom hatches.
And that’s the preview…Well, save for THIS:
Like what you see? Have any comments/suggestions for me? Leave them here, and I’ll see y’all when I finish Chapter 6. Ja né!