Daily Archives: September 19, 2013
How Would I Rebuild The DC Universe From Scratch? – Storyline Adaptions
Aaaaaaaaannnnnd welcome back to another edition of ‘How Would I Rebuild The DC Universe From Scratch?’, the ongoing series where I talk about what I’d do if I were in charge of a DC reboot, tv series, alternate reality series (Think Marvel’s Ultimate universe), and so on. And seeing as how I’ve taken a lot of these ideas and used them in my fanfics nowadays, you’d THINK I’d wanna keep these ideas to myself, but I like sharing them, seeing what people think, and getting feedback.
So, up until this point, I’ve been talking about the characters, but what about the stories? Like, if I was gonna do an adaptation of a story from the comics, like in one of the DC Animated Original Movies, or a novelization. And I’m not against the idea of possibly doing a novelization of certain stories for FanFiction.net, btw. So, let’s see what I’d do with some of my favourites, some of my less-than-favourites, and some that desperately need a rehash.
Okay, I originally submitted this on the tumblr AT4W Secrets, but something went wrong with it, so I decided to post it here instead. Well, more or less what I originally said, anyway. And for the record, it’s not a good thing that, after watching Linkara’s review of The Culling that I can pick out over half a dozen things they could’ve done differently to make the story at least SLIGHTLY better…
- Make the suits they wear have some sort of device on them that Harvest can use to keep constant track of them, or that keeps them from leaving The Crucible without his permission, or something like that. In other words, MAKE THE SUITS MAKE SENSE.
- I don’t know if Harvest’s real back-story about trying to create an army to wipe out all meta-humans was created before or after The Culling, but if it was before, make it clear here. Stop trying to make it so that he seems sympathetic, because it doesn’t work. NO ONE sympathizes with Harvest. AT ALL. Plus, then it would make the presence of a group of heroes from the Legion of Superheroes make sense, as they would know who and what Harvest is and would be trying to stop him.
- Honestly, I think I would make Harvest FAR less of a spin-doctor. I mean, wouldn’t he actually seem a lot more credible if he admitted that the Titans and Legion Lost managed to get the better of him, and then swore to come back and take his vengeance for ruining his plans? It’d be horrifying to think that someone with as much power as he has would one day return, only royally pissed off and ready to kill them all.
- Make it so that the people who survive The Culling are MADE to join The Ravagers. Y’know, with brain control or something. Then make it so that Ridge got free of his near the end and left the group…Speaking of which…
- DO NOT CALL THE SPIN-OFF TEAM THE RAVAGERS! I’ve actually brought this up before, but if DC really wants that dark and edgy group of Teen Titans, then here’s an idea: Make THESE GUYS the dark and edgy Titans! You could even call them The Savage Titans or something like that. Plus, then you would have a place for Skitter, since she kinda disappeared in The Culling and hasn’t been seen since.
- I would not kill off Artemis in her one and only appearance. Involving her in this story actually created a great opportunity to sell the Teen Titans book to fans of the Young Justice series, as her coming along for the ride after The Culling was over would get fans of the character to want to read it…Plus, it would add some GREEN to the team…
- I’d change the ending a bit so that the three groups got to meet up for a moment before they all had to flee The Crucible. Basically, just so they can have a moment to say something like “Well, Harvest got away, but we shut down his operations and saved all these people, and that’s more important”, and they could all bid fond farewells to each other and have the series end on a more positive note. Plus, I’d probably take out the scene at the end where the Titans arrive on Mystery Island. Just saying, it kinda detracted, although I will admit it almost felt like an ending to an episode of Quantum Leap. lol
- I guess with his new origin, Beast Boy being red KINDA makes sense, but then you gotta wonder whether the new origin is better than the old. Really, I’m torn between making him green again, or just making him FUN again…Or both, whatever.
Not really as much to say here, since I’d wanna keep a lot of it the same. If I was doing a movie, I’d want it to be a two parter obviously, and I’d probably take out a lot of the filler and crossover stuff. Like, Red Hood and the Outlaws can go, since it didn’t add anything, and we can just see small shots of Batgirl, the Birds of Prey, and Robin taking their targets, as well as maybe shots of Red Robin and Batwoman fighting a Talon or two. Nightwing’s part in the story can be mostly reduced to his interactions with Batman, finding the book of names, learning he was supposed to be a Talon, taking on his great-grandfather, and the resolution of his character and where he stands. Not to say that the stuff involving him touring with Haly’s Circus wasn’t a good story, it was. It’s just that if I was focusing primarily on Night of the Owls, that part doesn’t need to be there.
…Leave it as is. No, seriously, nothing needs changing with this story. Now, if I was gonna adjust anything, it’d be that, if this were a movie, the little red boxes that show everyone’s info when the probes scan everyone would be little pop-ups you could switch on and off on the DVD…In fact, why they hell doesn’t this have a movie already?! SOMEONE MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Anyway, I think that’s all for now. Next time, I think I’ll look at a few more of the heroes, including probably my favourite Robin of all. Ja né!
- Diametrically Opposed: Nightwing / Deathstroke (modernmythologies.com)
- Why Am I Still Reading More DC Then Marvel? (redblooms.wordpress.com)
- Franchises Collide When “Scribblenauts Unmasked” Invades the DC Universe (comicbookresources.com)
- New 52 in Review: Week 4 (thereforeigeek.com)
- Harley Quinn, Kate Kane, and the falling DC Universe (thestake.org)
- Five Batman Characters We Want To See In The Batman vs. Superman Movie (focusthoughts.wordpress.com)
- Watered Down Comics (unstableparticles.wordpress.com)
- Why #FireDiDio Won’t #SaveDC (bwmedia.wordpress.com)
- DC Fan’s Calling for DC to Stop Their Editorial from “Messing Up Storylines” through a Petition. (cashmancultureshock.wordpress.com)
- Fixing DC’s Movie Universe (ifanboy.com)
New Fossil Pokémon Evolutions + Additional Details Regarding Pokémon X & Y
Well, looks like the new Fossil Pokémon have had their evolved forms unveiled, so let’s take a look at ’em!
Tyrantrum is the evolved form of Tyrunt, and holy crap, does it look AWESOME! :O It looks like if Greymon was a Pokémon. I half-expect it to fire Nova Blast in my face. That said, it probably will be able to learn Fire Fang, considering its Ability powers up biting moves, and hey, it needs something to deal with those pesky Fairy-types (Tyrantrum is Rock/Dragon-type, remember).
Aurorus is the evolved form of Amaura. Like its pre-evolved form, this Rock/Ice-type can turn Normal-type attacks into Ice-type attacks. Also, it can apparently learn a move called Freeze Dry, an Ice-type move which can freeze opponents, AND has the added effect of somehow doing super-effective damage to Water-types.
There have been a couple of other details released about Pokémon X & Y, though I cannot be 100% certain as to the validity of these, so take ’em with a grain of salt. First off, apparently none of the new Pokémon found in the Kalos Region can Mega Evolve, at least not in X & Y. That makes sense, and frankly, I’m rather glad they’re focusing on the older Pokémon with Mega Evolution. Also, there are rumours that Pokémon will still gain experience from battle even if the opponent is caught, which is rather different, and that there may be a place to change clothes in every Pokémon Centre in Kalos. Again, can’t confirm these, but it would certainly change things up, especially the part regarding experience.
Anyway, lemme know what you think below, we’ll see what gets revealed next. Ja né!
- September Corocoro, One More Month: Pkmn X&y (solarblade.wordpress.com)
- Pokemon X and Y – New Pokemon Revealed: Fossil Evolutions + New Gameplay (reecewhiskey.wordpress.com)
- Pokémon X & Y – Amura’s moves detailed, Pokémon will gain XP (vg247.com)
- Pokemon X and Y director discusses the games’ strategic depth and Mega Evolutions (polygon.com)
- Mega Evolution (meowinpokemons.wordpress.com)
- Pokémon X & Y trailer shows evolved forms of starters Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie (vg247.com)
- ‘Pokémon X’ and ‘Y’ TV commercial – watch video (digitalspy.co.uk)
- The World Of Pokemon X & Y Is Coming To Pokemon TCG Fans Around The Globe (mynintendonews.com)
- Pokemon X/Y: WHY?! Director Masuda himself answers! (gamesradar.com)
- Pokemon X and Y 27 days left… (theangryshelgon.wordpress.com)
The Man of Tomorrow – My New Fanfic
So, having finished writing Tales of the Caped Crusader, I’ve decided to move onto my next fanfic, also inspired by my talks of How Would I Rebuild The DC Universe From Scratch, as well as taking place in that same sort of ‘verse that I created with TotCC. The name of the fic: The Man of Tomorrow.
Here’s the basic premise: Superman has been an active superhero for some time now. Lois Lane is aware of his secret identity, and the two are currently in a relationship while also keeping up their friendly rivalry at the Daily Planet. Lex Luthor is in jail following an incident that also cost him his presidency over the United States. As a result, Metropolis is enjoying relative peace time. I mean, there’s still stuff like burning buildings, bank robbers, jumpers, the occasional criminal, but over-all, FAR less occasions that look like a job for Superman. Also, as was the case in TotCC, he has met Batman and Wonder Woman, but there is no Justice League yet.
One day, down-town Metropolis is attacked by Plasmus, and after a fight between the two, Superman quickly learns that someone is gunning for him, someone that’s created a liquidized version of Kryptonite and gave some to Plasmus. Problem: The #1 suspect is behind bars, and can’t be responsible…or can he? Worse yet, a young man named Victor Stone gets horribly burnt during the fight with Plasmus, with most of his body melting. So now the hunt is on to find the one responsible before anyone else gets hurt.
As with TotCC, this story takes a lot of plot elements from other established stories and continuities, and not just for Superman. For example, Victor will play a huge role, though parts of his back-story are actually inspired by the character Steel. Plasmus has elements to his character that are borrowed from the Teen Titans animated series. Lois knowing that Clark and Superman are the same person is inspired by Man of Steel and Superman: Unbound. Superman’s costume is based off of concept art for Injustice: Gods Among Us, as shown below (minus the face, although honestly, I gotta wonder why they didn’t use that look for Regime Superman). Also, Kara is mentioned on occasion in the story, currently in the process that will see her transform from Supergirl into Power Girl. And trust me, lots of other characters from Superman and the DC Universe will pop up in this story.
Anyway, that’s all I wanna tell for now. Thoughts? Opinions? Lemme know in the comments, and click the image below to read the fic. Ja né!
- Villains of Steel (dietelcomics.com)
- Review: “Superman: Earth One” (comicsauthority.com)
- Tim Daly Interview (scifitalk.com)
- All Star Lois Lane: Superman, icons, personhood and love (womenwriteaboutcomics.com)
- Lois Lane Tries to Interview Batman in Animated Short (geektyrant.com)
- Evolution of the Superman Part 6: The Man of Tomorrow, Today (Graphic Novelties) (popmatters.com)
- The Man of Tomorrow (haidangit.wordpress.com)
- Review: Action Comics #23.3 – Lex Luthor (hopeburnsbright.wordpress.com)
- Ben Affleck’s Batman Will Be “Tired and Weary” (slashfilm.com)
- ‘Lois And Clark’ 20th Anniversary: Celebrating ‘The New Adventures Of Superman’ At 20 (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)