Daily Archives: August 15, 2013
Should DC Sell Superhero Adult Novels? (Yes, this is an actual question asking for feedback, JUST HEAR ME OUT lol)
So I’ve made a number of jokes as of late, saying that if DC really wants to tell stories about their heroes hooking up and having sex, they should just drop the pretenses and release adult novels for their heroes. Now, while I was mostly kidding when I said things like that, I started thinking recently…SHOULD they? WOULD that sell well? WOULD it be beneficial to them, and to readers?
Now, before anyone calls me a pig for this, hear me out: As we all know, DC is obsessed with the idea of telling a romance story involving Superman and Wonder Woman. Some people like it, and some people (myself included) hate it. So I had a thought: What if instead of constantly bringing that up in the comics, why not just tell that story in an adult novel? Or hey, people got kinda bothered by the stories of Batman and Catwoman having rooftop “meetings” in the early days of the New 52 Catwoman books. Well, if comic book readers dislike that, why present it for them? Why not sell it to an audience that might enjoy that sort of thing? Or heck, Grant Morrison can’t talk about the upcoming Earth 1 Wonder Woman story without mentioning her sex life or making references to sex. If he’s that fixated on it, why is he writing a comic for her? Why not an adult novel?
Basically, my point in a nutshell is that they would be keeping that sort of storytelling that delves into sex and romantic scenarios that not everyone is going to get into in comics in a completely separate genre for people who WOULD enjoy it. Like I said before, despite HEAVY bitching about the Wonder Woman/Superman pairing, there are fans who enjoy reading it. While a lot of fans see overuse of sex in comics as annoying, some probably like it. And hey, it’d be a completely different form of media, so they could do whatever they wanted with whoever they wanted. Some could be in canon with the current comics, and some could be VERY non-canon. Fans wanna see Clark Kent and Lois Lane together again? Easily done! People wanna know more about the relationship between Alan Scott and Sam? Not a problem! Heck, Gail Simone could finally write a story about the Oracle/Black Canary pairing she wanted to do for Birds of Prey.
Anyway, vote and/or comment below whether or not you think this would be a good move for DC, and let’s hope someone who works for them is listening. Ja né!
- Hollywood Fears Wonder Woman (foxnews.com)
- SHOCK NOVEL: Gay, narcissistic and kinky ‘Batman’ as you always suspected him to be… (independent.co.uk)
- Which superhero shares your values? – Multimedia: Polls (wilmingtonfavs.com)
- The Movement #4 by Gail Simone (Comics Review) (sonsofcorax.wordpress.com)
- 5 Reasons Why ‘Wonder Woman’ Could Be the Next Big DC Superhero Movie (screenrant.com)
- Batman Graphic Novel Writer Grant Morrisons Talks Wonder Woman And ‘Superman: Man Of Steel’ (contactmusic.com)
- Morrison’s ‘Wonder Woman’ is ‘a mother and daughter story’ (robot6.comicbookresources.com)
- There’s No Reason We Should Not Have A Wonder Woman Movie Already [VIDEO] (themarysue.com)
- ‘Wonder Woman’ ’70s-style DC Nation short previewed – watch (digitalspy.co.uk)
- Editorial: Not Including the Dark Knight Trilogy in a DC Universe is a Recipe for Disaster (comicbookmovie.com)